Samuel L Jackson at Comic Con 2010

Watched that movie where a black dude talks about Royale with Cheese on their way to murder someone? That's Samuel L. Jackson. And the movie is Pulp Fiction.

Samuel L. Jackson is arguably one of the biggest and most quoted actors in Hollywood. He appeared in over 120 movies and collaborated with some of the most powerful directors in the film industry including Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee, Martin Scorsese, and Steven Spielberg.

In today's article, I've rounded up the best quotes by Samuel L. Jackson. These are the quotes you should live by, as I already do.

But before we jump into them, here is a short biography of Samuel L. Jackson.

Samuel L. Jackson – Biography

Born in 1948, Samuel Leroy Jackson was raised by his grandparents and his single mother. His father, who he only met a few times in life, died of alcoholism.

As a kid, he had a speech impediment. So he used the curse word "motherf**ker" to get through speech blockades.

He started learning acting while pursuing a degree in marine biology, at the Morehouse College in Atlanta.

Initially, Jackson starred in small roles in theaters and blaxploitation films. But it wasn't until playing the role of Jules Winnfield in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction that he established himself as a reputable actor. After that, he never looked back.

In 2022, he received the Academy Honorary Award for his contribution to cinema.

Net Worth

Beside being a cultural icon, Samuel L. Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time, according to Yahoo Finance. As of 2023, his net worth is $250 million.

The 20 Best Quotes by Samuel L. Jackson

This list of Samuel L. Jackson quotes have been compiled from various sources around the web, and many of his interviews available on YouTube.

Here are the best quotes: 

1. "You ain't got but one life. You ought to live it the way you want." 

2. "If you do not have courage, you may not have the opportunity to use any of your other virtues."

3. "Anyone who tells you money can't buy happiness never had any." 

4. "Lifelong readers continue to read, finding in books the means to enjoy life or endure it." 

5. "I look at myself as an audience member. I still love movies, and I still go and sit in the back of the big dark room with everybody else, and I want the same thrill."

6. "Not everybody goes to movies to get their life changed."

7. "Even during my theater years, I wished I could watch the plays I was in — while I was in them! I dig watching myself work." 

8. "I'm not as angry as I used to be. But I can get in touch with that anger pretty quickly if I feel my space is being invaded or somebody is not treating me with the respect that I think I want."

9. "I've been fortunate to be in films that are classic, that are going to be around."

10. "When I'm not working, I like to play golf."

11. "I don't understand how people live without creating." 

12. "Those that have loved longest love best."

13. "If you have an opportunity to use your voice you should use it."

14. "I guess the worst day I have had was when I had to stand up in rehab in front of my wife and daughter and say "Hi, my name is Sam and I am an addict"."

15. "I'm a good son, a good father, a good husband - I've been married to the same woman for 30 years. I'm a good friend. I finished college, I have my education, I donate money anonymously. So when people criticize the kind of characters that I play on screen, I go, "You know, that's part of history"."

16. "Painters get up and paint. Writers get up and write. I like to get up and act. It's not a big deal. It makes me happy."

17. "Take a stand for what's right. Raise a ruckus and make a change. You may not always be popular, but you'll be part of something larger and bigger and greater than yourself. Besides, making history is extremely cool."

18. "I have a lot more energy than I used to have. I sleep better. I like the way I look in my clothes better. I don't cramp as much. I exercise better. I think my circulation has gotten better."

19. "I tend to play characters that I can infuse with certain kinds of humor. Even the baddest guy can be funny in his own particular way. I want the audience to engage with the character on some deeper level so that they leave the cinema still thinking about him."  

20. "I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake, and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger." 

My favorite quote by Samuel L. Jackson

This one is my personal favorite: "If you have an opportunity to use your voice you should use it."

Bottom Line

That said, I hope you enjoyed reading these quotes by Samuel L. Jackson. Which one is your favorite? Which one inspired you the most? Let me know in the comments.

Image source: rwoan, Copyright: CC By 2.0. Edited by the author using Canva