40 Best Vincent Van Gogh Quotes


What are the best Vincent van Gogh quotes?


Vincent van Gogh is perhaps the best example of how an artist's work and life are intertwined. The son of a pastor, he was born in Holland on March 30, 1853, to an upper-middle-class family. As a child, Van Gogh enjoyed drawing, and he was serious, quiet, and thoughtful, wandering the countryside to observe nature in his free time…


WAIT.


This is NOT how I discovered van Gogh… I found him this way:


I was 7; my older cousin took me to an exhibition. (Well, she promised me an ice cream.) So I went with her. 


Boy, it was boring. 


They call these scribbles and daubs of ink a painting? I did that as a toddler. 


Then my eyes went to some yellow flowers; later I found out it was a reproduction of Vincent Van Gogh's "Poppy Flowers"  (1887).


Coming back to informal voice:


Vincent van Gogh started working in 1869, at the Hague branch of an international art dealer company. He took on various jobs but seemed uninterested in them. 


Around 1876, he was dismissed from the last job he had in London. So he made a decision to become his childhood dream: an artist.


Which brings me to today…



40 Best Vincent Van Gogh Quotes


I rounded up these best Vincent van Gogh quotes from the letters he wrote to Theo and to other friends from 1872 onward; they provide a vivid picture of his ambitions, beliefs, hopes and disappointments, as well as his fluctuating physical and mental states.


Without further ado and keyword stuffing, here are the best Vincent van Gogh quotes on sadness, passion, life and love.




1. "Normality is a paved road; It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it."


2. "Be of good heart."


3. "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"


4. "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."


Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of 'you can't' once and for all. - Vincent Van Gogh Quote


5. "Just slap anything on when you see a blank canvas staring you in the face like some imbecile. You don't know how paralyzing that is, that stare of a blank canvas is, which says to the painter, 'You can't do a thing'. The canvas has an idiotic stare and mesmerizes some painters so much that they turn into idiots themselves. Many painters are afraid in front of the blank canvas, but the blank canvas is afraid of the real, passionate painter who dares and who has broken the spell of 'you can't' once and for all."


Van Gogh quotes About Stars & Passion


6. "Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all."


7. "I don't know anything with certainty, but seeing the stars makes me dream."



8. "A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."



9. "Art is to console those who are broken by life."


10th of 40 Van Gogh Quotes 


"I put my heart and soul into my work, and I have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh


11. "I dream my painting and I paint my dream."


12. "The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting."


13. "I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."


14. "The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right."



15. "Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together."


16. "Seek only light and freedom and do not immerse yourself too deeply in the worldly mire."


17. "I think that I still have it in my heart someday to paint a bookshop with the front yellow and pink in the evening ... like a light in the midst of the darkness."


Van Gogh Quote Close Friends & Sadness 


18. "Close friends are truly life's treasures. Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves. With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears. Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone."



19. "The sadness will last forever."


20th of 40 Van Gogh Quotes 


"I shouldn't precisely have chosen madness if there had been any choice, but once such a thing has taken hold of you, you can't very well get out of it." - Van Gogh


21. "To suffer without complaint is the only lesson we have to learn in this life."


22. "The heart of man is very much like the sea, it has its storms, it has its tides and in its depths it has its pearls too …"


23. "I long so much to make beautiful things. But beautiful things require effort and disappointment and perseverance."



24. "Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me. I see paintings or drawings in the poorest cottages, in the dirtiest corners. And my mind is driven towards these things with an irresistible momentum."


25. "Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it."


Let’s not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it. - Vincent Van Gogh


26. "It is with the reading of books the same as with looking at pictures; one must, without doubt, without hesitations, with assurance, admire what is beautiful."


Van Gogh Quotes About Nature & Love


27. "If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere."


28. "What is done in love is done well."


29. "Love is something eternal ... The aspect may change but not the essence."


30th of 40 Van Gogh Quotes 


"The best way to know life is to love many things." - Van Gogh


31. "The victory one would gain after a whole life of work and effort is better than one that is gained sooner."


32. "Success is sometimes the outcome of a whole string of failures."


33. "Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model."



34. "If only we try to live righteously, we shall fare well, even though we are bound to encounter genuine sadness and real disappointments and shall probably commit real mistakes and do things that are wrong, but it is certainly better to be ardent in spirit, even though one makes more mistakes, than narrow-minded and overly-cautious."


35. "I would rather die of passion than of boredom."


36. "There is safety in the very heart of danger."


37. "In spite of everything, I shall rise again; I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing."


38. "In my view, I am often immensely rich, not in money, but (although just now perhaps not all the time) rich because I have found my métier, something I can devote myself to heart and soul and that gives inspiration and meaning to my life."


39. "Well, right now it seems that things are going very badly for me, have been doing so for some considerable time, and may continue to do so well into the future. But it is possible that everything will get better after it has all seemed to go wrong. I am not counting on it, it may never happen, but if there should be a change for the better I should regard that as a gain, I should rejoice, I should say, at last! So there was something after all!"


40th of 40 Van Gogh Quotes 


"I can't change the fact that my paintings don't sell. But the time will come when people will recognize that they are worth more than the value of the paints used in the picture." - Van Gogh


Bottom Line: 


Vincent Van Gogh was a prolific artist and remains one of the most influential in history. He struggled with mental illness, but he still managed to produce some of the most famous paintings in history. His work has inspired generations to follow their dreams and achieve their hearts’ desires – he truly was an artist ahead of his time.


His paintings have been a source of fascination for generations to come. He used color, unusual angles, and bold brushstrokes in his paintings to convey intense emotions and a unique sense of urgency. It is no wonder that art historians, artists, and amateurs alike have examined his sketches, his letters, and his biography to uncover clues about this strange man who had a profound effect on art after his death.


These 40 best quotes from Van Gogh offer meaning and comfort to those who need it most. Make sure to share this article with your friends if you found it helpful, and follow us on other social media platform for more great content like this!


FAQs:


Oh, these quote websites are crazy. All they do is copy and paste.


Nope. We don't do that here. 


We collect quotes from books, articles, movies, and videos on the topic we are going to write about.


And who are "we?"


Welp, right now—it's just me. 


Wanna join me? Head on to write-for-us page or contact-us page. Or simply, pitch me an email to arpanmondal.study@gmail.com


The latter one is the easiest method.


Thank you :)